What is this course about?
One million South Africans are domestic workers (constituting around 8% of the country’s total workforce). Among the many duties of a domestic worker are jobs such as cleaning, washing, and tidying. Those that are better at the requirements of domestic work can often find better jobs and earn more money.
Topics in the domestic skills course include everything from scrubbing the floors to washing the dishes to making the beds. These jobs are often done incorrectly, or in an inefficient manner. The course is highly focused on maintaining a great working relationship with the employer, and includes many of the softer skill requirements. The content gives a balance between tried-and-tested principles, and practical advice.
After completing this course, you will have taken a positive step towards being better equipped in domestic work and housekeeping.
Who should be doing this course?
This course is aimed at anyone who wants to pursue a career in housekeeping and domestic work. This course will benefit:
- Full-time domestic workers
- Anyone wants to advance their career in domestic work
- Anyone who wants to apply for a job in domestic work
- Employers who want to train their domestic workers better
- Someone starting a Bed & Breakfast
- Anyone who works in a household will find the course useful.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Understand the basic qualities that employers look for in a housekeeper (domestic worker)
- Identify the cleaning needs of the main household rooms
- Outline the product requirements and practical steps in cleaning various surfaces
- Understand the difference between good and bad cleaning principles
- Know how to pack away and neaten each major environment of the home
- Know and understand the main practices of a successful domestic worker
How is your course mark calculated?
Your course mark is calculated using the average mark obtained in each of the Chapter tests. In order to pass this course, you must obtain a final course mark of at least 50%. This means that even if you fail a few of the chapter tests, if your test marks in the other chapter tests are high enough you will still be able to pass the course. Good Luck!
Study at your own pace!
We’ve created our courses to suit your busy life! The duration of this course is based on a student guide where one 300 – 500 word article is read per day, and the assessment is done on a separate day after the relevant articles have been reviewed. But you can do the course in your own time and at your own pace. If you choose to do two readings per day, it will take you half of the estimated time, four readings per day means doing the course in a quarter of the time etc. We leave that decision up to you!