What Is This Course About?
This course is designed to introduce the learner to the world of the Community Health Worker (CHW). Since health care in South Africa impacts a broad range of contexts and systems, some guidance in the specifics of health in the community will enable students to better understand the role CHWs play. The course will take learners through the basics of this specific role by looking at definitions, principles, skills and practical techniques. This course is a must for anyone who wants to become better acquainted with the concept of community health and how CHWs can impact their communities.
Who Should Do This Course?
Working As A Community Healthcare Worker is aimed at anyone who is interested in pursuing a career (or volunteering) in the field of community health. This may include people who:
- Want to learn about how to work efficiently as a CHW.
- Are interested in playing an active leadership role in developing
- Are volunteering in the community and want to improve their theoretical
knowledge and skills surrounding community health.
- Applying for a degree in the medical field and are looking to boost their
After completing this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the basics of community health in South Africa.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic skills needed to be a Community Healthcare Worker.
- Describe health-related issues that one might come across in the community.
- Identify health conditions and social issues impacting community members.
- Identify broader societal issues impacting communities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the skills of community assessment.
- Understand skills relating to education, evaluation and termination in the field of community health.
- Outline the future of health care in South Africa
How Is Your Course Mark Calculated?
Your course mark is calculated using the average mark obtained in each of the Chapter tests. In order to pass this course, you must obtain a final course mark of at least 50%. This means that even if you fail a few of the chapter tests, if your test marks in the other chapter tests are high enough you will still be able to pass the course. Good Luck!
Study At Your Own Pace!
We’ve created our courses to suit your busy life! The duration of this course is based on a student guide where one 300 – 500 word article is read per day, and the assessment is done on a separate day after the relevant articles have been reviewed. But you can do the course in your own time and at your own pace. If you choose to do two readings per day, it will take you half of the estimated time, four readings per day means doing the course in a quarter of the time etc. We leave that decision up to you!